Professor of Turfgrass Science
1995 Ph.D., Cornell University
1982 M. S., University of Rhode Island
1978 B. S., University of Connecticut, cum laude
Academic & Professional Employment
2013-Present Professor, University of Massachusetts, Stockbridge School of Agriculture
2003-2013 Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Dept. of Plant, Soil & Insect Sciences
1997-2003 Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts, Dept. of Plant & Soil Sciences
1996-1997 Turfgrass Scientist, O. M. Scott & Sons, Marysville, OH
1988-1990 Northeast Regional Agronomist, TruGreen Corp., Warwick, RI
- Reducing water, fertilizer, and pesticide inputs in the maintenance of golf, sports and lawn turf
- Understanding the interaction between turfgrass species-cultivars with their natural and cultural environments
- Identifying cultivars with superior tolerance to abiotic and biotic stress
- Developing sustainable practices to reduce turfgrass stress
- 43 Peer Reviewed Papers and Chapters
- 60 Peer Reviewed Abstracts
- 142 Extension Publications
- 97 Invited Extension Presentations
- 25 Invited Articles
- Chief Undergraduate Advisor, B.S. Turfgrass Science & Management Major, 2011 to present
- Program Coordinator, A.S. Turfgrass Management Major, 1997 to 2014
- Associate Editor, C-5 (Turfgrass Science), Crop Science Society of America, 2011 to present
- Crop Science Society of America Citation of Excellence for Reviewers, 2011
- UMass-Amherst Residential First-Year Experience Student Choice Award, 2011
- American Society of Agronomy
- American Society for Horticultural Science
- Crop Science Society of America
- Turfgrass Internship (A.S. Practicum), STOCKSCH 198T (3 credits)
- Introductory Turfgrass Management, STOCKSCH 230 (4 credits)
- Applied Calculations in Turfgrass Management, STOCKSCH 240 (2 credits)
- Advanced Turfgrass Management, STOCKSCH 340 (3 credits)
- Turfgrass Internship (B.S. Practicum), STOCKSCH 398T (3 credits)
- Integrated Turf Management, STOCKSCH 597V (3 credits)
Refereed Journal Publications (since 2010)
Hoffman, L. M. DaCosta, A. Bertrand, Y. Castonguay, and J. S. Ebdon. 2014. Comparative assessment of metabolic responses to cold acclimation and deacclimation in annual bluegrass and creeping bentgrass. Environ. Exp. Bot. 106:197-206.
Hoffman L., M. DaCosta, and J. S. Ebdon. 2014. Examination of Cold Deacclimation Sensitivity of Annual Bluegrass and Creeping Bentgrass. Crop Sci. 54:413-420.
Ebdon, J. S. 2014. Resistance of fine leaf fescue cultivars to red thread, 2013. Plant Disease Management Reports. T028.
Ebdon, J. S. 2014. Resistance of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars to leaf rust, 2013. Plant Disease Management Reports. T029.
Ebdon, J.S., M. DaCosta, J. Spargo, and W. M. Dest. 2013. Long Term Effects of Nitrogen and Potassium Fertilization on Perennial Ryegrass Turf. Crop Sci. 53:1750-1761.
Murphy, J. A., and J. S. Ebdon. 2013. Study and Management of Turfgrass Traffic Stress. In J.C. Stier et al., editors. Agron. Monogr. 52, ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, WI. p.1029-1074.
Lanier, J.D., J.S. Ebdon, and M. DaCosta. 2012. Physiological Changes Associated with Wilt-Induced Freezing Tolerance Among Diverse Turf Performance Perennial Ryegrass Cultivars. Crop Sci. 52:1393-1405
Hoffman, L., M. DaCosta, J.S. Ebdon, and J. Zhao. 2012. Effects of drought preconditioning on freezing tolerance of perennial ryegrass.
Environ. Exp. Bot. 79:11-20.
Ebdon, J. S., and H. G. Gauch, Jr. 2011. Direct Validation of AMMI Predictions in Turfgrass Trials. Crop Sci. 51:862-869.
Dowgiewicz, J., J. S. Ebdon, M. DaCosta and W. D. Dest. 2011. Wear Tolerance Mechanisms in Agrostis Species and Cultivars. Crop Sci. 51:1232-1243.
Ebdon, J. S. 2011. Resistance of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars to Necrotic Ring Spot, 2009. Plant Disease Management Reports. T040.
Ebdon, J. S. 2011. Resistance of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars to Dollar Spot, 2009. Plant Disease Management Reports. T039.
Ebdon, J. S. 2011. Resistance of perennial ryegrass cultivars to dollar spot (Sclerotinia homoeocarpa), 2009.Plant Disease Management Reports. T038.
Hoffman, L., M. DaCosta , J. S. Ebdon, and E. Watkins. 2010. Physiological Changes during Cold Acclimation for Perennial Ryegrass Accessions Differing in Freeze Tolerance. Crop Sci 50:1037-1047.
Hoffman, L., J. S. Ebdon, W. D. Dest and M. DaCosta. 2010. Effects of Nitrogen and Potassium on Wear Mechanism in Perennial Ryegrass: I. Wear Tolerance and Recovery. Crop Sci. 50:357-366.
Hoffman, L., J. S. Ebdon, W. D. Dest and M. DaCosta. 2010. Effects of Nitrogen and Potassium on Wear Mechanism in Perennial Ryegrass: II. Anatomical, Morphological and Physiological Characteristics. Crop Sci. 50:367-379.