To register for the program, please fill out the form below.
Students must take at least one of these foundation courses:
- STOCKSCH 100 – Botany for Gardeners (4 cr)
- STOCKSCH 106 - Soil Science & Management (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 108 – Intro to Botany (4 cr)
- STOCKSCH 265 – Sustainable Agriculture (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 320 – Organic Vegetable Production (3 cr)
Students may select from the classes listed above and/or the following courses to total 15 credits:
- STOCKSCH 106 - Soil Science and Management (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 108 - Intro to Botany (4 cr)
- STOCKSCH 117 - Agricultural Chemistry (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 119 – Backyard Homesteading (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 172 - Plants in Our World (4 cr)
- STOCKSCH 186 – Introduction to Permaculture (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 190 PP - Pastured Poultry (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 190 R - Raising Dairy Goats Sustainably (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 197 FL - Into to Food and Agricultural Law (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 211 - Pasture Management (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 258 - Urban Agriciculture.: Innovative Farming Systems (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 266 - Managing the Small Farm Enterprise (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 288 - Land Use Policies & Sustainable Farming (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 290 FP - Holistic Fruit Production (3 cr)
- STOCKCH 290 W - Organic Weed Control (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 354 - Non-profit Management of Community Food Programs (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 355 – Community Food Systems (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 386 – Sustainable Site Planning and Design (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 387 - Global Food Systems (3)
- STOCKSCH 397FV- Postharvest Handling of Fruits and Vegetables from Farm to Fork (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 397 FJ - Social Permaculture for Food Justice (3 cr)
- STOCKSCH 497 S - Sustainable Site Design Studio (2 cr)
It is possible to substitute other courses for those on the pre-approved list with permission of the Program Coordinator. Courses must be taken at the University of Massachusetts Amherst or online through the UMass Division of Continuing and Professional Education. All classes must be graded and no Practicum or Independent Study classes may be counted toward the Certificate. We will offer a fully online Associate of Science degree beginning in September 2016. You may be eligible for financial aid if you are accepted to this degree program. For more information, see: Online A.S. Degree.
For information about when courses will be offered see: SFF Online Course List.
To apply for the program, simply fill out the form below. Questions may be sent directly to John M. Gerber, Professor and Program Coordinator.