Ph. D., Plant Molecular Biology (1998), Durham University, United Kingdom
M. Phil., Biochemistry and Genetics (1998), Kurukshetra University (India)
M. Sc., Botany (1987), Kurukshetra University (India)
B. Sc., Medical (1985), Maharishi Dayanand University (India)
TEACHING (COURSE DEVELOPED AND TAUGHT)
• STOCKSCH 650 - Global Challenges in Agriculture and the Environment
• STOCKSCH/ENVIRSCI 587/687 - Phyto/Bioremediation
• STOCKSCH 591A - Plant Biotechnology
• STOCSCH 390A - Plant Biotechnology and Tissue Culture (Laboratory)
• Honors 391A – Climate Change and Global Food Security Challenges
- Glutathione homeostasis in plants for improved oxidative stress tolerance and Nitrogen use efficiency in agricultural crops
- Engineering non-food crops for phytoremediation of heavy metals and metalloids
- Molecular and physiological strategies for developing arsenic free rice
- Molecular and biochemical mechanisms of abiotic stress (including heavy metals, drought, high temperature, salinity and nutrient stress) tolerance in plants
- Metabolic engineering of oil seed crops (Camelina sativa, Crambe abyssinica, and Brassica juncea) for biofuels and value-added bioproducts.
- Nanotechnology and Sustainable Agriculture
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Elected Vice President for the International Phytotechnology Society (IPS, 2015-2018, 2019-2022)
- Elected Fellow of the Indian Society for Plant Physiology
- Haryana Gaurav Samman Award, Govt of Haryana (2017)
- Member, Steering Committee, WUN (Worldwide University Network) Response to Climate Change group, (2016-present)
- Adjunct Professor, Haryana Agriculture University Hisar, India (2019- present)
- Member, Faculty Senate Council for University Relations and Advancement (2015-2021)
Nominated as the Division Chair for C7 in the Crop Science Society of America (CSSA) in 2013 and 2020
Member, Executive Committee of American Society for Plant Biologists (3 years term, 2012-2015)
Faculty Honor/ Recognition for Patent Awards, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2018.
- Healey Endowment Award for Faculty Research, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2005.
- Award of Excellence for outstanding Research, Division of Environmental Chemistry, American Chemical Society, New Orleans, 2003.
- Best presentation award at an international conference "Heavy Metals in Plants: Ecosystem to Biomolecules", University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA, Sept. 29-Oct. 2, 2002.
- Commonwealth Scholarship award by Commonwealth Commission London (U.K.), October 1994 to December 1997.
PUBLICATIONS AND BOOKS
I have published over 90 publications in high profile journals including Nature, Nature Biotechnology, Proceedings of the national Academy of Sciences USA, Plant Cell, Plant Physiology, etc.
- Haiyan Yuan, Qingquan Liu, Jiahao Fu, Yuming Sun, Chunsun Gu, Haiying Tong, Zhi Guo, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Sulfur nanoparticles Improved Plant Growth and Reduced Mercury Toxicity via Mitigating the Oxidative Stress in Brassica napus L. Environmental Pollution, 2021 (submitted)
- Ahmed G Meselhy, Sudhir Sharma, Zhi Guo, Gurpal Singh, Haiyan Yuan, RD Tripathi, Baoshan Xing, Craig Musante, Jason C. White, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Nanoscale sulfur Improves Plant Growth and Reduces Arsenic Toxicity and Accumulation in Rice (Oryza sativa L.). Environmental Science & Technology, 2021 (Under review).
- Qingquan Liu, Yongxia Zhang, Yinjie Wang, Chunsun Gu, Suzhen Huang, Om Parkash Dhankher, Haiyan Yuan. Combining single-molecule sequencing and next-generation sequencing to provide insight into the complex response of Iris halophila Pall. to Pb exposure. Industrial Crops and Products, 2021 (Under Review)
- Hesham M. Abdullah, Jessica Rodriguez, J. M. Salacup, Isla S. Castañeda, Danny J. Schnell, Ashwani Pareek, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Increased Cuticle Waxes by Overexpression of Wax Synthase, WSD1, Improves Tolerance Towards Osmotic Stresses in Plants. Int. J. Molecular Sciences 2021 (Under Review) .
- Olivera S. Stamenković, Kshipra Gautam, Sneh L Singla-Pareek, Om P Dhankher, Ivica G. Djalović, Milan Kostić, Petar M. Mitrović, Ashwani Pareek, Vlada B. Veljković. Biodiesel production from Camelina sativa (L.) Crantz oil: present status and future perspectives. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2021 (Under review).
- Chuanxin Ma, Yi Hao, Jian Zhao, Nubia Zuverza-Mena, Ahmed G. Meselhy, Om Parkash Dhankher, Yukui Rui, Jason C. White *, Baoshan Xing. Graphitic Carbon Nitride (C3N4) Reduces Cadmium and Arsenic Phytotoxicity and Accumulation in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Nanomaterials 11:839 (2021). https://doi.org/10.3390/nano11040839
- Chuanxin Ma, Hong Liu, Guangcai Chen, Qing Zhao, Huiyuan Guo, Rakesh Minocha, Stephanie Long, Yuanzhi Tang, Emily M. Saad, Roberto DeLaTorreRoche, Jason C. White, Baoshan Xing, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Dual role of glutathione in silver nanoparticle detoxification and enhancement of nitrogen assimilation in soybean (Glycine max L.). Environ. Sci.: Nano, 2020, 7:1954-1966. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0EN00147C.
- Zhenyu Wang, Le Yue, Om Parkash Dhankher and Baoshan Xing. Nano-Enabled Improvements of Growth and Nutritional Quality in Food Plants Driven by Rhizosphere Processes. Environment International, 142: 105831 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2020.105831. IF 8.925
- Qingquan Liu, Yongxia Zhang, Yinjie Wang, Weilin Wang, Chunsun Gu, Suzhen Huang, Haiyan Yuan and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Quantitative proteomic analysis reveals complex regulatory and metabolic response of Iris lactea Pall. var. chinensis to cadmium toxicity. J Hazardous Material, 400: 123165 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2020.123165.
- Ashwani Pareek, Om Parkash Dhankher*, and Christine H. Foyer. Mitigating the impact of climate change on plant productivity and ecosystem sustainability. J. Exp. Bot., 71 (2): 451-456 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erz518.
- Syed Adeel Zafar, Syed Shan-e-Ali Zaidi, Yashika Gaba, Sneh Lata Singla-Pareek, Om Parkash Dhankher, Xueyong Li, Shahid Mansoor, Ashwani Pareek. Engineering abiotic stress tolerance via CRISPR/ Cas-mediated genome editing. J. Exp. Bot. 71(2): 470-479 (2020). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erz476.
- L Fu, Z Wang, Om Parkash Dhankher, B Xing. Nanotechnology as a New Sustainable Approach for Controlling Crop Diseases and Increasing Agricultural Production. J. Exp. Bot. 71: 507-519 (2020). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erz314.
- Lomeshwar Sharma, Manu Priya, Neeru Kaushal, Kalpna Bhandhari, Shikha Chaudhary, Om Parkash Dhankher, PV Vara Prasad, Kadambot Hm Siddique, Harsh Nayyar. Plant growth regulating molecules as thermoprotectants: functional relevance and prospects for improving heat tolerance in food crops. J. Exp. Bot. 71: 569-594 (2020). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erz333.
- Reshu Chauhan, Surabhi Awasthi, Sudhakar Srivastava, Elizabeth A. H. Pilon-Smits, Om P. Dhankher and Rudra D. Tripathi. Understanding the metabolism of selenium and its role as a beneficial element in plants. Critical Review in Environ. Sci. & Technol., 39: 1937-1958 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2019.1598240.
- Sanghamitra Majumdar, Chuanxin Ma, Marco Villani, Nubia Zuverza-Mena, Luca Pagano, Yuxiong Huang, Andrea Zappettini, Arturo A Keller, Nelson Marmiroli, Om Parkash Dhankher, Jason C White. Surface coating determines the response of soybean plants to cadmium sulfide quantum dots. Nanoimpact, 14: 100151 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.impact.2019.100151.
- Manu Priya, Kadambot Siddique, Om P. Dhankher, P. V. Vara Prasad, H Bindumadhava, Ramakrishnan Nair & Harsh Nayyar. Molecular breeding approaches involving physiological and reproductive traits for heat tolerance in food crops. Plant Physiology Reports, 23 (4): 697-720 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40502-018-0427-z.
- Hesham M. Abdullah, Sudesh Chhikara, Parisa Akbari, Danny J. Schnell, Ashwani Pareek, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Comparative transcriptome and metabolome analysis revealed the bottlenecks for increasing the seed and oil yields in transgenic Camelina sativa expressing diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1 and glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase. Biotechnology for Biofuels, 11 (1): 335 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13068-018-1326-2.
- Ashwani Pareek, Ajay Arora and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Stepping forward and taking reverse as we move ahead in genetics. Plant Physiology Reports 23(4): 609-611 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40502-018-0428-y.
- Kundan Kumar, Kareem Mosa, Ahmed Ali, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Molecular Insights into the Plasma Membrane Intrinsic Proteins Roles for Abiotic Stress and Metalloids Tolerance and Transport in Plants. Plant Physiology Reports 23 (4): 721-730 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40502-018-0425-1.
- H Yuan, Z Guo, Q Liu, C Gu, Y Yang, Y Zhang, Om Parkash Dhankher*, S Huang. Exogenous glutathione increased lead uptake and accumulation in Iris lactea var. chinensis exposed to excess lead. International J. phytoremediation 20 (11): 1136-1143 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1080/15226514.2018.1460307.
- Y Yang, Z Guo, Q Liu, J Tang, S Huang, Om Parkash Dhankher, H Yuan. Growth, physiological adaptation, and NHX gene expression analysis of Iris halophila under salt stress. Environ. Sci. & Pollu. Res. 25 (25): 25207-25216 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-2593-y
- Roberto De La Torre Roche, Luca Pagano, Sanghamitra Majumdar, Brian D Eitzer, Nubia Zuverza-Mena, Chuanxin Ma, Alia D Servin, Nelson Marmiroli, Om Parkash Dhankher, Jason C White. Co-exposure of imidacloprid and nanoparticle Ag or CeO2 to Cucurbita pepo (zucchini): Contaminant bioaccumulation and translocation. NanoImpact 11: 136-145 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.impact.2018.07.001. IF
- Naser A. Anjum, Sarvajeet S. Gill , Om P. Dhankher , Juan F. Jimenez and Narendra Tuteja. Editorial: The Brassicaceae-Agri-Horticultural and Environmental Perspectives. Editorial. Front Plant Sci. 9: 1141 (2018). https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2018.01141.
- OP Dhankher, CH Foyer. Editorial: Climate resilient crops for improving global food security and safety. Plant, Cell & Environment 41 (5): 877-884 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1111/pce.13207.
- A Dixit, P Tomar, E Vaine, H Abdullah, S Hazen, OP Dhankher*. A stress-Associated protein, AtSAP13, from Arabidopsis thaliana provides tolerance to multiple abiotic stresses. Plant, cell & environment 41 (5): 1171-1185 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1111/pce.13103.
- Sudhakar Srivastava, Garima Dixit, Munish Kumar Upadhyay, Poonam, Om P. Dhankher and R.D. Tripathi. Strategies to mitigate arsenic in crop plants: An approach towards enhancing crop quality. In: Genetic Engineering of Plants - Enhancing Productivity and Product Value Editors: Prabodh K Trivedi, Pravendra Nath and Mondher Bouzayen. John Willey and Sons Limited, UK. Published 2018.
- Sudesh Chhikara, Hesham Abdullah, Parisa Akbari, Kenny Ablordeppey, Om Parkash Dhankher*. Combined expression of GPD1 and DGAT1 increased oil and seed yield in Camelina sativa. Plant Biotechnology J. 16: 1034–1045 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1111/pbi.12847
- AA Saddhe, KA Mosa, K Kumar, M Prasad, OP Dhankher*. Genome-wide Characterization of Major Intrinsic Protein (MIP) Gene Family in Brachypodium distachyon. Current Bioinformatics 13 (5): 536-552 (2018). DOI : 10.2174/1574893612666171023152558.
- Suchismita Roy, Manjari Mishra, Om Parkash Dhankher, Sneh L Singla-Pareek and Ashwani Pareek. Molecular chaperones in Plants: Players in abiotic stress responses. In: Genetic Enhancement of Crops for Tolerance to Abiotic Stress: Mechanisms and Approaches, Vol. I, Sustainable Development and Biodiversity 20, Eds: Vijay Rani Nagpal, Deepmala Sehgal, Avinash Kumar and S.N Raina. Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2018.
- Amit Pal Singh, Garima Dixit, Amit Kumar, Seema Mishra, Navin Kumar, Sameer Dixit, Pradyumna Kumar Singh, Sanjay Dwivedi, Prabodh Kumar Trivedi, Vivek Pandey, Om Prakash Dhankher, Gareth J Norton, Debasis Chakrabarty, Rudra Deo Tripathi. A protective role for nitric oxide and salicylic acid for arsenite phytotoxicity in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Physiol. and Biochem., 115: 163-173 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2017.02.019.
- Qing Zhao, Chuanxin Ma, Jason C. White, Om Parkash Dhankher, Xuejiao Zhang, Siyu Zhang and Baoshan Xing. Quantitative evaluation of multi-wall carbon nanotube uptake by terrestrial plants. Carbon 114 (2017) 661e670. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2016.12.036.
- Junli Li, Hyunkyu Sang, Huiyuan Guo, James T Popko, Lili He, Jason C White, Om Parkash Dhankher, Geunhwa Jung, Baoshan Xing. Antifungal mechanisms of ZnO and Ag nanoparticles to Sclerotinia homoeocarpa. Nanotechnology 28 (15): 155101 (2017). DOI: 10.1088/1361-6528/aa61f3.
- Hong Liu, Chuanxin Ma, Guangcai Chen, Jason C. White, Om Parkash Dhankher*, and Baoshan Xing. Titanium dioxide nanoparticles alleviate tetracycline toxicity to Arabidopsis thaliana. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 2017, 5 (4), pp 3204–3213. https://doi.org/10.1021/acssuschemeng.6b02976
- Alia D. Servin, Luca Pagano, Hiram Castillo-Michel, Roberto De la Torre-Roche, Joseph Hawthorne, Jose A. Hernandez-Viezcas, Rene Loredo, Sanghamitra Majumdar, Om Parkash Dhankher, Jason C. White. Weathering in soil increases nanoparticle CuO bioaccumulation within a terrestrial food chain. Nanotoxicology 11 (1), 98-111 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1080/17435390.2016.1277274.
- Luca Pagano, Francesco Pasquali, Sanghamitra Majumdar, Roberto De la Torre-Roche, Nubia Zuverza-Mena, Marco Villani, Andrea Zappettini, Robert E Marra, Susan M Isch, Marta Marmiroli, Elena Maestri, Om Parkash Dhankher, Jason C White, Nelson Marmiroli. Exposure of Cucurbita pepo to binary combinations of engineered nanomaterials: physiological and molecular response. Environmental Science: Nano 4 (7), 1579-1590 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1039/C7EN00219J.
- Chuanxin Ma, Hong Liu, Guangcai Chen, Wenjun Cai, Lee Newman, Joseph Hawthorne, Jason White, Baoshan Xing, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Effects of titanium oxide nanoparticles on tetracycline accumulation and toxicity in Oryza sativa (L.). Environmental Science: Nano, 4 (9): 1827-1839 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1039/C7EN00280G.
- Hesham M. Abdullah, Bibin Paulose, Danny Schnell, Ashwani Pareek, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Transcriptome Profiling of Camelina sativa to Identify Genes Involved in Triacylglycerol Biosynthesis and Accumulation in Developing Seeds. Biotechnology for Biofuels 9:136 (2016). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27382413.
- Guangcai Chen, Chuanxin Ma, Arnab Mukherjee, Craig Musante, Jianfeng Zhang, Jason C. White, Om Parkash Dhankher, Baoshan Xing. Tannic acid alleviates Nd2O3 bulk and nanoparticle toxicity in pumpkin: physiological and molecular response. Nanotoxicology 11: 1-11 (2016) https://doi.org/10.1080/17435390.2016.1202349.
- Eucharia O. Nwaichi and Om Parkash Dhankher. Heavy Metals Contaminated Environments and the Road Map with Phytoremediation. J. Environmental Protection, 7(1): 41-51 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jep.2016.71004
- Pankaj Kumar Verma, Shikha Verma, Alok Kumar Meher, Veena Pande, Shekhar Mallick, Amit Kumar Bansiwal, Rudra Deo Tripathi, Om Parkash Dhankher, Debasis Chakrabarty. Overexpression of rice glutaredoxins (OsGrxs) significantly reduces arsenite accumulation by maintaining glutathione pool and modulating aquaporins in yeast. Plant Physiol. Biochem., 106: 208-217 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2016.04.052.
- Klaus Nüsslein, Om Parkash Dhankher. Food Security Needs Social Science Inputs. Nature 535, 37 (07 July 2016) doi:10.1038/535037d (This is an opinion article in Nature Correspondence section). http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v535/n7610/full/535037d.html
- Pagano L., Servin A., De La Torre-Roche R., Majumdar S., Mukherjee A., Hawthorne J., Marmiroli M., Maestri E., Dhankher, Om Parkash, White J.C., Marmiroli N. Nanomaterials and crop plants: health and environmental safety related to molecular effects of ENMs exposure. Environ. Sci. Technol, 50: 7198-7207 (2016). http://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.01370.
- Pankaj Kumar Verma, Shikha Verma, Veena Pande, Shekhar Mallick, Rudra Deo Tripathi, Om Parkash Dhankher, Debasis Chakrabarty. Overexpression of Rice Glutaredoxin OsGrx_C7 and OsGrx_C2.1 Reduces Intracellular Arsenic Accumulation and Increases Tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Frontiers in Plant Sciences, 7: 740 (2016). https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.00740.
- Kareem A. Mosa, Ismail Saadoun, Kundan Kumar, Mohamed Helmy, Om Parkash Dhankher. Potential Biotechnological Strategies for the Cleanup of Heavy Metals and Metalloids. Frontiers in Plant Sciences, 7: 303 (2016). https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.00303.
- Kareem Mosa, Kundan Kumar, Sudesh Chhikara, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Enhanced Boron Tolerance in Plants Mediated by Bidirectional Transport Through Plasma Membrane Intrinsic Proteins. Nature Scientific Reports 6:21640 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1038/srep21640. IF 4.956
- Arnab Mukherjee, Sanghamitra Majumdar, Alia D. Servin, Luca Pagano, Om Parkash Dhankher and Jason C. White. Carbon Nanomaterials in Agriculture: A Critical Review. Frontiers in Plant Sciences, 7: 172 (2016). https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.00172.
- Amit Pal Singh, Dixit G, Kumar A, Mishra S, Singh PK, Dwivedi S, Trivedi PK, Chakrabarty D, Mallick S, Pandey V, Dhankher OP and Tripathi RD. Nitric Oxide Alleviated Arsenic Toxicity by Modulation of Antioxidants and Thiol Metabolism in Rice (Oryza sativa L.). Front. Plant Sci. 6: 1272 (2016). https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2015.01272.
- Srivastava, Sudhakar, Tripathi, R.D., Dhankher, Om Parkash, and Upadhyay, Munish. (2016). Arsenic Transport, Metabolism and Toxicity in Plants. Intern. J. Plant and Environment. 2: 17-28 (2016). https://doi.org/10.18811/ijpen.v2i1-2.6614
- Chuanxin Ma, Hong Liu, Huiyuan Guo, Craig Musante, Sanem Hosbas Coskun, Bryant C. Nelson, Jason C. White, Baoshan Xing, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Defense Mechanisms and Nutrient Displacement in Arabidopsis thaliana upon Exposure to CeO2 and In2O3 Nanoparticles. Environ. Sci.: Nano 3:1369-1379 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1039/C6EN00189K.
- Chuanxin Ma, Jason C. White, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Phytotoxicity and Ecological Safety of Engineered Nanoparticles. Int. J. Plant and Environment, 1: 1-7 (2015). https://doi.org/10.18811/ijpen.v1i1.7110
- Chuanxin Ma, Jason C. White, Om Parkash Dhankher, and Baoshan Xing. Metal-Based Nanotoxicity and Detoxification Pathways in Higher Plants. Environ. Sci. Technol. 49, 7109−7122 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.5b00685.
- Ma C, Chhikara S, Minocha R, Long S, Musante C, White JC, Xing B, Dhankher OP*. Reduced Silver Nanoparticle Phytotoxicity in Crambe abyssinica with Enhanced Glutathione Production by Overexpressing Bacterial γ-Glutamylcysteine Synthase. Environ Sci. Technol. 49: 10117−10126 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.5b02007
- Garima Dixit, Amit Pal Singh, Amit Kumar, Pradyumna Kumar Singh, Smita Kumar,Sanjay Dwivedi, Prabodh Kumar Trivedi, Vivek Pandey, Gareth John Norton, Om Parkash Dhankher, Rudra Deo Tripathi. Sulfur mediated reduction of arsenic toxicity involves efficient thiol metabolism and the antioxidant defense system in rice. J. Hazzardous Mat. 298: 241-251 (2015). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304389415004574
- Parul R. Tomar, Anirudha A. Dixit, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Engineered Plants for Heavy Metals and Metalloids Tolerance. In: Genetic Manipulation in Plants for Mitigation of Climate Change. Eds: Pawan K. Jaiwal, Rana P. Singh and Om P. Dhankher. Springer Publishers, ISBN: 978-81-322-2660-4 (2015).
- Manish Sainger, Poonam Ahlawat Sainger, Darshna Chaudhary, Ranjana Jaiwal, Rana Pratap Singh, Om Parkash Dhankher, and Pawan Kumar Jaiwal. GM Crops for Developing World in the Era of Climate Change: For Increase of Farmer’s Income, Poverty Alleviation, Nutrition and Health. In: Genetic Manipulation in Plants for Mitigation of Climate Change. Eds: Pawan K. Jaiwal, Rana P. Singh and Om P. Dhankher. Springer Publishers, ISBN: 978-81-322-2660-4 (2015).
- Sanjay Singh Parmar, Anjali Jaiwal, Om Parkash Dhankher, Pawan K Jaiwal. Coenzyme Q10 production in plants: current status and future prospects. Critical Rev. Biotechnol., 35(2): 152-164 (2015). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24090245
- Kundan Kumar, Kareem A. Mosa, Sudesh Chhikara, Craig Musante, Jason C. White and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Two Rice Plasma Membrane Intrinsic Proteins, OsPIP2;4 and OsPIP2;7, are Involved in Transport and Providing Tolerance to Boron Toxicity. Planta, 239:187-98 (2014). http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00425-013-1969-y
- Bibin Paulose, Sudesh Chhikara, Joshua Coomey, Ha-il Jung, Olena Vatamaniuk and Om Parkash Dhankher*. A g-Glutamyl Cyclotransferase Protects Arabidopsis Plants from Heavy Metal Toxicity by Recycling Glutamate to Maintain Glutathione Homeostasis. Plant Cell, 25: 4580–4595 (2013). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24214398.
- Chuanxin Ma, Sudesh Chhikara, Baoshan Xing, Craige Musante, Jason C. White, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Physiological and Molecular Response of Arabidopsis thaliana to Nanoparticle Cerium and Indium Oxide Exposure. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng. 2013, 1: 768−778. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/sc400098h
- Richa Dave, Pradyumna Kumar Singh, Preeti Tripathi, Manju Shri, Garima Dixit , Sanjay Dwivedi, Debasis Chakrabarty, Prabodh Kumar Trivedi, Yogesh Kumar Sharma, Om Prakash Dhankher, Francisco Javier Corpas, Juan B. Barroso, Rudra Deo Tripathi. Arsenite Tolerance is Related to Proportional Thiolic Metabolite Synthesis in Rice (Oryza sativa L.). Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 64(2): 235-42 (2013). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23138651.
- Sudesh Chhikara, Indrajit Dutta, Pawan Jaiwal, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Developing an Agrobacterium-mediated stable transformation method for industrial oilseed crop Crambe abyssinica ‘BelAnn’. Industrial Crops and Products 37: 457– 465 (2012). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0926669011003189
- Kareem A. Mosa, Kundan Kumar, Sudesh Chhikara, Joseph Mcdermott, Zijuan Liu, Craig Musante, Jason C. White, Om Parkash Dhankher*. Members of rice plasma membrane intrinsic proteins subfamily are involved in arsenite permeability and tolerance in plants. Transgenic Res. 21:1265–1277 (2012). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22350764.
- Om Parkash Dhankher*, Sharon Dotty, Richard B Meagher, and Elizabeth Pilon-Smits. Biotechnological Approaches for Phytoremediation. In: Plant biotechnology and agriculture: Prospects for the 21st Century, Eds: Arie Altman and Paul Hasegawa. Elsevier Press. (2012). http://courses.washington.edu/cfr521g/documents/BiotechnologicalApproachesToPhytoremediation.pdf
- Sudesh Chhikara, Darshana Chaudhary, Om Parkash Dhankher and Pawan K Jaiwal. Combined expression of barley II chitinase and type I ribosomal inactivating protein in transgenic Brassica juncea provides protection against fungus Alternaria brassicae. Plant Tissue and Organ Culture 108(1): 83-89 (2012). http://www.springerlink.com/content/47244821g1662742/.
- Anirudha Dixit and Om Parkash Dhankher*. A Novel Stress-Associated Protein ‘AtSAP10’ from Arabidopsis thaliana Confers Tolerance to Nickel, Manganese, Zinc, and High Temperature Stress. PLoS One, 6(6): e20921 (2011). http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0020921
- Asma Zulfiqar, Sudesh Chhikara, Bibin Paulose, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Identifying Genes/Gene Networks Involved in Chromium Metabolism and Detoxification in Crambe abyssinica. Environmental Pollution 159: 3123-3128 (2011). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749111003551
- Sudesh Chhikara, Bibin Paulose, Jason White and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Understanding the Physiological and Molecular Mechanism of Persistent Organic Pollutant Uptake and Detoxification in Cucurbit Species (Zucchini and Squash). Environ Sci. & Technol. 44: 7295-7301 (2010). http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es100116t.
- Dwivedi S, Tripathi, R.D., Tripathi P., Kumar A., Dave, R., Mishra S., Singh R., Sharma D., Rai U.N., Chakrabarty D., Trivedi P.K., Adhikari B.A., Bag M.K., Dhankher Om P., and Tuli R. Arsenate Exposure Affects Amino Acids, Mineral Nutrient Status and Antioxidants in Rice (Oryza sativa L.) Genotypes. Environ. Sci. Technol. 44: 9542–9549 (2010). http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es101716h
- Bibin Paulose, Suganthy Kandasamy and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Expression Profiling of Crambe abyssinica under Arsenate Stress Identifies Genes and Gene Networks involved in Arsenic Metabolism and Detoxification. BMC Plant Biology 10:108 (2010). http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2229/10/108
- Seema Misra, R.D. Tripathi, Sudhakar Srivastava, Sanjay Dwivedi, Prabodh K. Trivedi, Om Parkash Dhankher, and A. Khare. Thiol metabolism play significant role during cadmium detoxification by Ceratophyllum demersum L. Bioresource Technology, 100: 2155-2161 (2009). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960852408009231.
- Ackmez Mudhoo, Sanjay K. Sharma, Zhi-Qing Lin, and Om Parkash Dhankher. Phytoremediation of Arsenic-Contaminated Environment. In: Green Chemistry for Environmental Sustainability. Eds: Madhoo and Sharma, CRC Press, pp 127-149 (2010).
- Rakesh Minocha, P. Thangavel, Om Parkash Dhankher and Stephanie Long. Separation and quantification of monothiols and phytochelatins from a wide variety of cell cultures and tissues of trees and other plants using high performance liquid chromatography. J. Chromatography A, 1207: 72-83 (2008). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002196730801354X.
- Katty E. Smith, Raymond A. Putnam, Clifford Phaneuf, Guy R. Lanza, Om Parkash Dhankher, and John M. Clark. 2008. Selection of plants for optimizations of vegetative strips treating runoff pollutants from turfgrass. J. Environ. Quality, 37: 1855-1861 (2008). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18689747.
- Bibin Paulose, Pawan K. Jaiwal, and Om Parkash Dhankher*. Heavy Metal Transporters in Plants. In: Plant Membrane and Vacuolar Transporters. Eds: Jaiwal, Singh, and Dhankher, CABI International 2008, Oxfordshire UK, pp 213-238 (2008).
- Savita Dahiya, Darshna Chaudhary, Ranjana Jaiwal, Om Parkash Dhankher, Rana P. Singh, and Pawan K. Jaiwal. Elemental Biofortification of Crop Plants. In: Plant Membrane and Vacuolar Transporters. Eds: Jaiwal, Singh and Dhankher, CABI International 2008, Oxfordshire UK, pp 345-371 (2008).
- Richard B. Meagher, Aron P. Smith, Melissa Pischke, Tehrung Kim, Om Parkash Dhankher, and Andrew C.P. Heaton. Multigene Strategies for Engineering the phytoremediation of mecrcury and arsenic. Z. Xu et al (eds): Biotechnology and Sustainable Agriculture 2006 and Beyond, 49-60 (2007) Springer. http://www.springerlink.com/content/w8042487885w6532/
- Om Parkash Dhankher, Barry P. Rosen, Elizabeth C. McKinney and Richard B. Meagher. Hyperaccumulation of arsenic in the shoots of Arabidopsis silenced for arsenate reductase, ACR2. PNAS 103: 5413-5418 (2006). http://www.pnas.org/content/103/14/5413.
- Yujing Li, Om Parkash Dhankher, Laura Carreira, Aaron P. Smith and Richard B. Meagher. The shoot-specific expression of g-glutamylcysteine synthetase directs the long-distance transport of thiol-peptides to root conferring tolerance to mercury and arsenic. Plant Physiology 141; 288-298 (2006). http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/141/1/288.
- Om Parkash Dhankher*. Arsenic in Plants: an Inside Story. New Phytologist 168:503-505 (2005). http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01598.x/full.
- Tehrung Kim, Rebecca S. Balish, Andrew C.P. Heaton, Elizabeth C. Mckinney, Om Parkash Dhankher, and Richard B. Meagher. Engineering a root-specific, repressor-operator gene complex. Plant Biotechnology, 3 (6): 571-582 (2005). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17147628.
- Anne Marie, Om Parkash Dhankher, Bonnie McCaig and Richard B. Meagher. Ancient classes of plant metallothioneins bind nutrient and toxic metals differentially. Plant Molecular Biology 58(6): 839-55 (2005). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16240177.
- Om Parkash Dhankher, Yujing Li, Andrew C.P. Heaton and Richard B. Meagher. Strategies for phytoremediation of mercury and arsenic. In: Subsurface Contamination Remediation: Accomplishments of the Environmental Management Science Program; Berkey, E., Zachry, T., Eds.; American Chemical Society Symposium Series 904; American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, pp 96-116 (2005).
- Yujing Li, Om Parkash Dhankher, Laura Carreira, Rebecca Balish and Richard B. Meagher. Arsenic and mercury tolerance and cadmium sensitivity in Arabidopsis plants expressing bacterial g-glutamylcysteine synthetase. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 24, 1376-1386 (2005). http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1897/04-340R.1/full
- Yujing Li, Om Parkash Dhankher, Laura Carreira, David Lee, Alice Chen, Julian I Schroeder, Rebecca S Balish, Richard B Meagher. Overexpression of phytochelatin synthase in Arabidopsis leads to enhanced arsenic tolerance and cadmium hypersensitivity. Plant and Cell Physiology 45 (12): 1787-1797 (2004).
- Om Parkash Dhankher and J.A. Gatehouse. Tissue-specific and developmental regulation of stress-induced Pisum sativum HSP70 promoter in transgenic tobacco. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants 10(1): 49-58 (2004) (with cover page).
- Om Parkash Dhankher, Barry P. Rosen, Mark Fuhrmann and Richard B. Meagher. Increased cadmium tolerance and accumulation by plants expressing bacterial arsenate reductase. New Phytologist 159(2): 431-441 (2003). http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00827.x/full
- Om Parkash Dhankher and J.A. Gatehouse. Non-systemic induction of polyphenol oxidase in pea and chickpea after wounding. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants 9: 125-129 (2003).
- Om Parkash Dhankher, Yujing Li, Barry P. Rosen, Jin Shi, David Salt, Julie F. Senecoff, Nupur A. Sashti and Richard B. Meagher. Engineered tolerance and hyperaccumulation of arsenic in plants by combining arsenate reductase and g-glutamylcysteine synthetase expression. Nature Biotechnology 20 (11): 1140-1145 (2002). (Highlighted in FACULTY of 1000 by Mary Lou Guerinot). http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v20/n11/full/nbt747.html.
- Om Parkash Dhankher*, Jason L. Tucker, Valentine A. Nzengung, and N. Lee Wolfe. Isolation, purification and partial characterization of plant dehalogenase-like activity from waterweed (Elodea canadensis). In: Phytoremediation and innovative strategies for specialized remedial applications. eds: Leesan and Alleman, vol. 6, pp 145-150 (1999).
- Om Parkash Dhankher, J.E. Drew and J.A. Gatehouse: Characterization of a pea hsp70 gene which is both developmentally and stress regulated. Plant Molecular Biology 34: 345-352 (1997).
- Om Parkash Dhankher and N.K. Matta: Effect of salinity on storage proteins of Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) seeds. J. Plant Science Research 8: 74-76 (1992).
- Om Parkash Dhankher, Krishna Kumari and N.K. Matta: Qualitative and quantitative studies on seed protein fractions of Vigna unguiculata L.Walp. J. Plant Science Research 6:75-79 (1990).
Om Parkash Dhankher. Fact sheet- Crambe abyssinica. Prepared for the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources used for educational purpose for biofuel crops in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Submitted to MDAR, Massachusetts Govt. October 2009.
White Paper/Policy Document
Climate Resilient Open Partnership for Food Security (CROP-FS) Tackles Gritty Issues of Global Food Security. Submitted June 2016. Lead Author: Om Parkash Dhankher on behalf of 14 other project partners.
Books Edited/Published: 3 Books
- Book Title: Genetic Manipulation in Plants for Mitigation of Climate Change. Eds: Pawan K. Jaiwal, Rana P. Singh and Om P. Dhankher. Springer Publishers, ISBN: 978-81-322-2660-4 (2016).
- Book Title: The Brassicaceae-Agri-Horticultural and Environmental Perspectives. Eds: Naser A. Anjum, Sarvajeet S. Gill , Om P. Dhankher , Juan F. Jimenez and Narendra Tuteja. Frontiers in Plant Science Publication. https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/3959/the-brassicaceae---agri-horticultural-and-environmental-perspectives (2018)
- Book Title: Plant Membrane and Vacuolar Transporters. Eds: Jaiwal, P.K., Singh, R.P. and Dhankher, Om Parkash. CABI International Publishers, Oxfordshire UK, ISBN 978-1-84593-402-6, 371 pages (2008).
Special Issues Editor
- Genes, special Issue on “Metal Accumulator Plant Genetics: Insights into Phytoremediation”. Editors: Om Parkash Dhankher, R.D. Tripathi, Guilan Duan, Suphiya Khan. Expected publication Feb 2021.
- International J. of Molecular Sciences, special issue on “Mechanisms of Drought and Salinity Tolerance in Plants”. Editors: Om Parkash Dhankher, Vara prasad, and Sergey Shabala. Expected publication Jan 2021.
- J. Experimental Botany, special Issue on “Mitigating the impact of climate change on plant productivity and ecosystem”. Editors: Ashwani Pareek, Christine Foyer and Om Parkash Dhankher. Published January 2020 (24 manuscripts).
- Plant, Cell & Environmental journal, special Issue on “Climate Resilient Crops.” Editors: Om Parkash Dhankher and Christine Foyer. published In May 2019. Published 23 manuscripts in this special issue.
- Indian J. Plant Physiology, Special issues on “Forward and Reverse Genetics for Crop Improvement.” Editors: Ashwani Pareek, Ajay Arora, and Om Parkash Dhankher. Published December 2018 (20 manuscripts).
- Frontiers in Horticulture, special Issue on “The Brassicaceae- Agri-Horticultural and Environmental Perspectives.” Editors- Om Parkash Dhankher, Naser A. Anjum, Sarvjeet S. Gill, Juan F. J. Bremont and Narendra Tuteja, published in 2016 with 28 peer-reviewed articles.
Patents (US and International) Awarded
1. US Patent: US 7,816,579 B2. “Metal Resistant Plants, Methods of Manufacture, and Methods of use Thereof.” Inventor: Om Parkash. Awarded October 2010.
2. US Patent: US 7,951,992 B2. Genes for Improving Tolerance to Heavy Metals and Environmental Stresses.” Inventors: Om Parkash and Anirudha Dixit. Awarded May 2011.
3. US patent: US 8,329,987 B2. Metal Resistant Plants and methods of Manufacture thereof. Inventors: Om Parkash and Anirudha Dixit. Awarded May 11, 2012
4. US patent: US 7,700,827. “Metal Resistant Plants and Phytoremediation of Environmental Contamination.” Inventors: Richard B. Meagher, Om Parkash and Yujing Li. Awarded April 2010.
5. U.S. 10,947,551 B2. “Compositions and Methods for Engineering Oil Contents in Plants. Inventor: Om Parkash Dhankher and Sudesh Chhikara. Awarded March 16, 2021.
6. UMAss Docket # UMA0113US2 (UMA 18-012): Transgenic Plants having Increased Wax Synthase for Drought and Salt Tolerance. Inventor: Om Parkash Dhankher and Hesham Abdullah (Currently under review at USPTO).
OUTREACH AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
- Editor, Plant Physiology Reports (2015- present)
- Editor, International Journal of Plant & Environment (2015- present)
- Editor: International Journal of Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants published by Elsevier (2004-2009).
- Senior Associate Editor, International J. of Phytoremediation, 2016-present
- Associate Editor, Food & Energy Security, 2019- present
- Associate Editor, Crop Science (2021-2023)
- Associate Editor, Frontiers Agricultural Biological Chemistry, 2014- 2017.
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Plant Biology Research, 2014-Present.
- Editorial Board, International J. of Phytoremediation, published by Taylor & Francis Group (2009- present)
- Editorial Board, Plant and Soil Journal, published by Springer Netherlands (2007-2011).
- Scientific Advisory Board, Annual International Conference on Soils, Sediments and Water held each year at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Mid October (2005- present).
- Technical Advisor- Fields to Table Ag Innovation grant to Hill Town Farmers Co-op to grow biofuel crops and produce biodiesel on-farm. Played a key role to secure in securing funding and advising farmers. 2009-2010.
- Founding member, The Institute of Massachusetts Biofuels Research (TIMBR) at UMass Amherst and contributing as an active member of Biofuel Research on Campus and in Northeast region. Since 2009 - present.
Professional Societies membership:
· American Society for Plant Biologists (since 2001)
· Crop Soil Society of America (since 2013),
· Agronomy Society of American (Since 2014)
· International Phytotechnology Society, 2009- present.
· International Society for Environmental Botanists (2009-present)
I have developed strong research and faculty/student exchange program in India, China, Italy and Egypt. I visited various labs in these countries, actively engaged in research collaboration and hosted several visiting faculty and students in my lab.