The 15-credit Certificate in Sustainable Food and Farming is designed for adults looking to make a career change, returning Veterans, recent high school grads not ready to go to college fulltime, or those of you pursuing a lifelong interest related to food, gardening, homesteading or farming. Classes are taken through UMass Online and cost $371 per credit.
To see the classes being offered during the summer sessions of 2015, go to: SUMMER ONLINE 2015
The Certificate may be completed entirely ONLINE, but many of our courses are also available on campus. The certificate has helped prepare students in three broad areas of study:
- Sustainable Farming/Marketing and Homesteading
- Agricultural and Farm-based Education
- Public Policy, Community Development and Advocacy
Our online program has been particularly attractive to the fastest growing farm demographic in New England, women-owned and managed farms. We know how busy your lives can be, so our online classes may be taken on your own schedule. You don't have to compromise your personal health to learn how to make the world around you a healthier place!
Courses may be taken individually or toward fulfillment of the Certificate and credits earned may be applied to the Sustainable Food and Farming Bachelor of Science degree.
The online classes we offer are (click on the title)*
- Agricultural Chemistry
- Agricultural Ecology
- Backyard Homesteading
- Botany for Gardeners
- Community Food Systems
- Farm Planning Marketing & Management
- Global Food Systems
- Intro to Botany
- Intro to Permaculture
- Land Use Policies & Sustainable Farming
- Non-profit Management of Community Food Programs
- Organic Gardening & Farming
- Organic Vegetable Production
- Postharvest Handling of Fruits and Vegetables from Farm to Table
- Raising Dairy Goats Sustainably
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Sustainable Site Design & Planning
- Urban Agriculture
To be eligible for the Certificate, please fill out the online registration form.