Associate Professor of Postharvest Physiology
Ph.D. Plant Physiology, University of California, Davis. August 1988.
M.S. Horticulture, University of Missouri, Columbia. June 1984.
B.S. Horticulture, National Taiwan University. June 1980.
Teaching certificate, University of California, Davis. March, 1988.
Professional Positions Held
Associate Professor, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst, Plant and Soil Sciences, August, 1995 to the present.
Assistant Professor, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst, Plant and Soil Sciences, January 1989 to August, 1995.
Postgraduate Researcher, University of California, Davis, Environmental Horticulture, September 1988 to December 1988.
Graduate Research Assistant, University of California, Davis, Environmental Horticulture, September 1984 to August 1988.
Graduate Research Assistant, University of Missouri-Columbia, Horticulture, September 1982 to June 1984.
Research Associate, National Taiwan University, Horticulture, June 1980 to June 1982.
Selected refereed Publications, books, and book chapters:
Mei, S. and S. Han. 2014. Embracing the Changing World: Incorporating Team-Based Learning in an Upper Level General Education Course. The Exchange. Vol 27: 3-4.
Han, S.S. 2014. Introductory botany. 4th edition. Revised. 147 pp. Kendall Hunt Publishing, Dubuque, Iowa.
Han, S.S. 2014. Introductory botany laboratory manual. 4th edition. Revised. 68 pp. Kendall Hunt Publishing, Dubuque, Iowa.
van Doorn, W. and S. Han. 2011. Postharvest quality of cut lily flowers. Postharvest Biology and Technology. Vol 62: 1-6.
Han, S.S. 2008. Chapter 1: Principles of plant growth and development. In: Davidsohn, M. (ed.) The Massachusetts Certified Landscape Professionals study guide (2nd edition).
Elagoz, V., S.S. Han, and W.J. Manning. 2006. Acquired changes in stomatal characteristics in response to ozone during plant growth and leaf development of bush beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) indicate phenotypic plasticity. Environmental pollution. 140: 395-405.
Dukovski, D., R. Bernatzky, and S. Han. 2006. Flowering induction of Guzmania by ethylene. Scientia Horticulturae. 110: 104-108.
Miller, J.A. and S.S. Han. 2003. Role of ethylene in postharvest quality of cut Oriental lily ‘Stargazer’. Plant Growth Regulation 40(3): 213-222..
Han, S.S. 2003. Role of sugar in postharvest quality of cut Oriental lily ‘Stargazer’. HortScience 38(3): 412-416.
Han, S.S. 2001. Flowering of three species of Brodiaea in relation to bulb size and source. Scientia Horticulturae. 91: 349-355.
Han, S.S. 2001. Flowering of plants in the Brodiaea complex. Herbertia. 55: 107-114.
Han, S.S. 2001. Benzyladenine and gibberellins improve postharvest quality of cut Asiatic and Oriental lilies. HortScience. 36: 741-745.
Han, S.S. 2000. Growth regulators reduce leaf yellowing in Easter lily caused by close spacing and root rot. HortScience. 35(4): 657-660.
Han, S.S. and J. Konieczy. 2000. Responses of whitefly and poinsettias to insecticidal controlled atmospheres. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science. 125(4): 513-517.
Han, S.S. and Q. Liu. 1999. Developmental events associated with the critical stage for sex determination in wild-rice florets. International Journal of Plant Science. 160(6): 1127-1133.
Han, S.S. 1998. Postharvest handling of cut Heuchera sanguinea Engelm. flowers: Effects of sucrose and silver thiosulfate. HortScience 33: 731-733.
Han, S.S. 1997. Preventing postproduction leaf yellowing in Easter lily. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 122: 869-872.
Franco, R.E. and S. Han. 1997. Respiratory changes associated with growth regulator delayed of leaf yellowing of Easter lily. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 122: 117 - 121.
Han, S.S. and T.H. Boyle. 1996. Ethylene affects postproduction quality of Easter cactus. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 121: 1174 - 1178.
Boyle, T.H., R. Karle, and S.S. Han. 1995. Pollen germination, pollen tube growth, fruit set, and seed development in Schlumbergera truncata and S. x buckleyi (Cactaceae). Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 120: 313-364.
Han, S.S. 1995. Growth regulators delay foliar chlorosis of Easter lily leaves. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 120: 254 - 258.
Han, S.S. and J. Nobel. 1995. Ethylene-induced abscission of Easter cactus phylloclades for vegetative propagation. HortScience 30: 1070 - 1073.
Imanishi, H., A.H. Halevy, A.M. Kofranek, S. Han, and M.S. Reid. 1994. Respiratory and carbohydrate changes during ethylene-mediated flower induction in Dutch iris. Scientia Hort. 59: 275-284.
Han, S.S., A.H. Halevy, R.M. Sachs, and M.S. Reid. 1994. Morphology of flower initiation of brodiaea. Scientia Hort. 56: 235-243.
Scott, D., T.H. Boyle, and S.S. Han. 1994. Floral development and flower longevity in Rhipsalidopsis and Schlumbergera (Cactaceae). HortScience 29: 898-900.
Han, S.S. 1993. Chilling, ethephon, and photoperiod affect cormel production of brodiaea. HortScience 28: 1095-1097.
Han, S.S. and A.H. Halevy. 1993. Triteleia laxa. p 611-616. In: The physiology of flower bulbs. ed. LeNard, M. and A.A. De Hertogh. Elsvier Sci. Pub. Amsterdam, The Netherland.
Han, S.S. 1992. Role of sugars in bud development and vase life of cut Liatris spicata. HortScience 27: 1198-1200.
Han S.S., Halevy, A.H., and Reid, M.S. 1991. The role of ethylene and pollination in petal senescence and ovary growth of Brodiaea. Journal of the America Society for Horticultural Science. 116: 68-72.
Han, S.S., A.H. Halevy., R.M.Sachs., and M.S. Reid. 1991. Flowering and corm yield of Brodiaea in response to temperature, photoperiod, corm size and planting depth. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 116: 19-22.
Han, S.S., A.H. Halevy., and M.S. Reid. 1990. Postharvest handling of Brodiaea flowers. HortScience 25: 1268-1270.
Han, S.S., A.H. Halevy., R.M.Sachs., and M.S. Reid. 1990. Enhancement of growth and flowering of Triteleia laxa by ethylene. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 115: 482-486.
- Undergraduate Teaching Program
- STOCKSCH 108 Introductory botany (Fall 2003 – present)
- PLSOIL 285 (S11) Greenhouse Crop Production I (Fall of 1990-1997)
- PLSOIL 320 Greenhouse Crop Production II (Spring 1989-1997)
- PLSOILIN 321 Greenhouse Crop Production I (Fall of 1998 – 2015)
- PLSOILIN 335 Greenhouse Crop Production II (Spring 1998 – present)
- PLSOIL 185 (196) Cooperative work training -Floriculture major (Fall of 1990 -1995)
- STOCKSCH 545 Postharvest Physiology (Spring 2005 – present)
- NATSCI 494i Global Issues in Applied Biology (first offering, Spring 2012)
- Honor thesis, and faculty sponsor in UWW
- Advisor, Floriculture concentration (1994 to 2008)
- Advisor, Horticulture concentration (2009 to present)
- Chief Undergraduate Advisor, PLSOILIN (Spring 2011- present)
- Rebecca Bernardos, Plant, Soil, and Insect Scienes. M.S. (in progress). Tentative title: Intraspecific variation of serpentine soil tolerance within the Adiantum pedatum complex. Chair.
- Danijela Dukovski. Plant and Soil Sciences. Ph.D. 2004. Identification of ethylene responsive genes that control flowering of Guzmania lingulata ‘Anita’. Co-Chair with Dr. Robert Bernatzky.
- Vahram Elagoz. Plant Biology Graduate Program. Ph.D. 2004. Phenotypic variability and developmental rates affect the response of bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) plants to ozone. Dissertation Committee.
- Susan Hawkins. Plant Biology Graduate Program. M.S. 2001. Thesis: Expression of ethylene inducible genes involved in the early stages of floral evocation of Guzmania lingulata (tentative). Co-Chair with Dr. Robert Bernatzky.
- Melissa Borden. 1999. Plant and Soil Sciences. Changes in freezing tolerance, abscisic acid concentration and gene expression during cold acclimation of Acer rubrum fine roots. M.S. Thesis Committee.
- Jonathan Miller. 1997. Plant and Soil Sciences. Carbon uptake by lettuce in different atmospheres for an advanced life support system. M.S. Thesis Committee.
- Vahram Elagoz. Plant and Soil Sciences. M.S. 1996. Research Project: Ethylene induced morphological and physiological changes in Dutch iris (Iris hollandica Hoog.) cultivar Telstar. Co-Chair with Dr. Robert Bernatzky.
- Rosanne Price. Plant and Soil Sciences. M.S. 1995. Thesis: Physiological and morphological changes of Lilium longiflorum L leaves during senescence. Chair.
- Sarah Weis. Plant and Soil Sciences. Ph.D. 1995. Quantifying relations of preharvest temperature, light, and precipitation with superficial scald development on apple (Malus domestica Borkh.). Ph.D. Dissertation Committee.
- Ya-Lai Wang. 1994. Plant and Soil Sciences. Abscission in coleus: Hormonal and enzymatic control. Ph.D. Dissertation Committee.
- Deirdre Scott. Plant and Soil Sciences. M.S. 1993. Thesis: Variation in flower longevity and responses to ethylene among cultivars of Rhipsalidopsis and Schlumbergera (Cactaceae). Co-Chair with Dr. Thomas H. Boyle.
- Zhang Yuan Du. Plant and Soil Sciences. Ph.D. 1993. Examining Committee.
- Laura Judd. Plant and Soil Sciences. M.S. 1992. Thesis Committee.
- Nancy Wojcicki. Plant and Soil Sciences. M.S. Thesis: Year-round flowering of Triteleia laxa with ethylene treatment. (withdrew due to medical reasons)
- Finalist, University Distinguished Teaching Award, 2014-2015.
- Finalist, University Distinguished Teaching Award, 2011-2012.
- Davis Integrative Experience Fellow, Provost Office, 2011-2012.
- Team-based Learning Fellow, Office of Faculty Development, 2011-2012.
- PSIS Favorite Faculty Award, voted by the graduating class of 2009.
- Outstanding Achievement Award in Teaching, College of Natural Resources and Environment, 2005.
- Teachnology Fellow, Center for Teaching 2003-2004
- Advisor of the year. College of Food and Natural Resources, 2000.
- Excellence in Advising. College of Food and Natural Resources, 1999.
- Excellence in Teaching. College of Food and Natural Resources, 1995.