Class and Student-run Business
STOCKSCH 398E (spring) & 498E (fall) - up to 5 credits each semester
Grow organic crops at the UMass Farm in South Deerfield and the Agricultural Learning Center (within walking distance of campus) and sell them to the UMass Community!
- Are you excited about building and improving a sustainable local food system, here on the UMass campus?
- Do you want to put into practice what you've learned about farming, ecology and agriculture?
- Do you love working outdoors in a beautiful place in all kinds of weather?
- Do you like working with a small group that is committed to a common goal?
- Do you want to earn 10 credits and have a summer job?
Then this is the course for you!
The course is designed with three parts: spring (planning and planting), summer (planting, growing, tending) and fall (harvesting and marketing). Taking both semesters and summer is encouraged, but not required. The course is designed to be taken in order, but it is possible to take the fall semester first or take only one semester if scheduling is an issue.
We are now accepting applications for next semester. Preference will be given to those with academic background in agricultural sciences and with some farming or gardening experience, but we also seek diversity in majors,career goals and life experiences.
This is more than a class - it is also a student-run business.
Be part of creating something new and exciting at UMass - a sustainable student farming project that will grow stronger every year!
We continue to expand production and markets every year, along with our farming infrastructure. We will continue to work with our current cutomer base of 7 on-campus markets including; Earthfoods Cafe, a 60 member FALL CSA, Student Farmers Market, Dinning Services and other student run businesses as well as The Amherst and Northampton Big Y Supermarkets.